Duties After Loss – What to do After My Property Sustains Damage?

What Does My Insurance Policy Cover?

Most homeowners pay an insurance premium that provides coverage for their private property, in exchange for timely paying premiums for their insurance policy. But what happens if your property sustains damage and you need to file a claim with your insurance company?

Duties After A Property Damage Loss

The insurance policy is a legally binding contract. This means that both the insurance company, as well as the homeowner and/or property owner, have certain rights and obligations. Every insurance policy imposes certain “Duties After Loss”, which create obligations upon you, as the homeowner, to abide by, in order for the insurance company to issue payment for your damages. In fact, your failure to abide by these obligations may result in forfeiture of coverage under your policy, even if the loss would have otherwise been covered.

The following are necessary steps that any homeowner should take after a loss has occurred, regardless of what kind of insurance policy you have or who your insurance company is.

  1. Take photographs and videos before any changes are made to properly document the loss.
  • Mitigate the damages to prevent further damage. This may include turning off the water supply after a pipe burst, placing a tarp on a leaking roof, or hiring a mold and/or water remediation company to remove moisture and/or mold.
  • Have your insurance policy handy, consult with a professional to determine whether you have a claim, and allow them to report the claim to your insurance company promptly. You should never report the claim to the insurance company without the help of a professional – your insurance company does not have your best interests in mind.
  • Keep receipts of any incurred expenses related to the damages, and if possible, retain any building components that are removed and/or replaced such as a broken pipe, so that the insurance company is afforded the opportunity to inspect them. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
  • Cooperate with your insurance company, and provide documents as requested. A property damage attorney like the Gelber Law Group can assist with this process, which can be exhausting and burdensome to tackle on your own.

Contact the Gelber Law Group for more information

Living with property damage can be stressful, and the insurance claim process can be lengthy. If you encounter property damage and your insurance claim has been denied or underpaid, contact Gelber Law Group, PA to assist you with a free consultation at 954-320-0100.

Leave a Comment